Maranatha Christian Program
Supporting the Traditional Values of Home & Community
The Maranatha Christian Program (MCP) is available to all families who want their Kindergarten to Grade 9 children taught in a non-denominational, spiritually nurturing, intellectually challenging, and disciplined environment. The Middle Years Program (5-9) is housed here at Woodhaven Middle School. The Early Years Program (K-4) is housed across the street at Brookwood School.
MCP supports the traditional values of the home by involving students in morning prayers, Bible readings, songs, and weekly assemblies with a Christian perspective. Sustained by Christ's teachings and God's love, students in the program are encouraged to develop binding commitments to their families, neighbours, country, and global community while leading moral, healthy and productive lives.
The Maranatha Christian Program is available to students who are in Kindergarten to Grade 9. Through the MCP program, students will be encouraged to:
- Treat others with respect and focus on loving God and loving one another
- Seek to achieve high levels of academic excellence involving regular study and homework
- Exhibit positive behaviour and good work habits
- Value the importance of community service
Parents with students enrolled in the MCP program will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Christian program and to the school
- Create fellowship and work cooperatively with teachers to maintain a disciplined learning environment
- Encourage their child(ren) to display positive behaviours at all times
- Support the classroom by promoting academic excellence in their students
Teachers chosen for the program are those who:
- Support the philosophy of the program
- Articulate to students and parents the philosophy of Christian living
- Apply Christian beliefs to instructional programming
- Place the needs of their students in the centre of all their efforts - both in and outside the classroom
- Discipline students within a Christian context, often involving prayer
- Help students make links to Christ's teachings in situations where poor choices have been made
- Encourage students to take pride in what they do and instill in them the belief that they have much to offer the world around them
Housed in a dual-track school, the MCP Program:
- Follows Alberta Learning's prescribed Program of Studies
- Has a strong expectation that students are willing to work and seek to achieve academic excellence
- Promotes a Christian viewpoint during discussions and links concepts being taught with teachings of the Bible
- Allows students in the program to participate with other students in classes such as music, physical education, exploratory courses, and field trips.
Transportation will be a joint responsibility of parents and Parkland School Division. Students travelling on routes that can be easily directed to Woodhaven Middle School will be transported. Where no current routes are available, the Division's Transportation Department has made a commitment to review all possible routes in an attempt to arrive at a workable solution for both parents and the Division.
Transportation fees are assessed for some students, dependent on their residence. Parents will be subject to all other fees charged in the regular program.
For more information contact:
Woodhaven Middle School